Here are some worksheets and questions to go over in preparation for the exams.
Keep working away at them. If you are not sure of anything don’t worry, we will go over it when we are back at school.
Remember, you can always google answers. You can always go online first then try the worksheets.
Parts of a tree and cross-section of a tree.
Draw a sketch of a growing tree and list its parts.
- List the functions of the roots of a tree.
- List the functions of the trunk of the tree.
Download the worksheet below or sketch on a piece of paper.
Coniferous Trees- Characteristics
1. Seeds are
have narrow needle shaped leaves.
3. Most are evergreen- do not lose their leaves in the Autumn
4. Crown is
narrow and pointed which allows snow to fall off.
5. Wood is
1. They have covered seeds example – berries, acorns.
2. They have broad leaves. Example – oak, sycamore, Beech
3. They lose their leaves in Autumn.
4. Most of the wood is hard wood.
Pine Tree (Coniferous) Oak Tree (Deciduous)
- Name 4 characteristics of Coniferous Trees
- Name 4 characteristics of Deciduous Trees
Describe, using notes and free hand sketches these characteristics.
1.Draw a sketch of a growing tree and list its parts.
2. List the functions of the roots of a tree.
3. List the functions of the trunk of the tree.
Photosynthesis is the process where a plant/ tree makes its own food.
3 things are needed
- Carbon Dioxide (Co2)
- Water (from the roots)
- Oxygen is given out from the tree into the atmosphere.
Conversion of Timber
is changing of logs to planks
- It’s easy/Cheap – Some boards are weak
- It’s quick – Boards may warp
- Little wastage
- Wide planks
- Boards are stronger – It’s expensive
- Boards don’t warp – It takes more time
- Hardwearing – It’s wasteful
- – Boards are narrow
Conversion of Wood
Conversion of wood is the name given to cutting a log into boards or planks.
Methods of conversion:
- Through and Through Sawing,
- Quarter Sawing.
See how you get on with all of these and we will post more after the Easter Holidays.